Topaz Mill is an historic old mill on the North Fork. It
was first established in 1840. The present mill was built in 1896
and has been restored. Located several miles south of Highway 76,
Topaz Mill was once the center of a thriving community including
a general store, blacksmith shop, cannery, barber shop and post
The three-story building housed a fully automated mill which produced
flour as well as meal. The mill's top capacity was about 40 barrels
of flour a day, each weighing 96 pounds.
Milling operations gradually subsided during the 1930s. The general
store remained open until 1945. At present the mill has been restored
by a private owner and is in working condition.