The oldFriendship Missionary BaptistChurch and Vera Cruz Cemetery.
Vera Cruz was established before the Civil War, probably during the time of the Mexican War (1846-49). It was named after the city of Vera Cruz, Mexico.
Originally the village was named Red Bud. Its post office opened in 1846. It had two good sawmills and one general store. It was located at the confluence of Hunter Creek and Bryant Creek.
In 1857 Douglas County was established and in 1859 the name Red Bud was changed to Vera Cruz. It became the first county seat of Douglas County, ten miles southeast of Ava. The Friendship Missionary Baptist Church was built in 1900.
Cinita Brown, in pioneer dress, shows Ava fourth graders on a field trip how the old log church was built without using any nails. "They didn't have any nails," she explains. "But they fit the timbers so closely together there was no need for them."
During the Civil War, two small battles occurred in and near Vera Cruz, which was the headquarters of the local Home Guard unit. 0n November 7, 1862, a large Rebel force burned a Home Guard military post at Clark's Mill on the Vera Cruz Road. The horses and guns of the Home Guard force were taken. There was a second battle on November 3, 1864 around the same area.
The "mill pond" at Vera Cruz is a popular local swimming hole.
Today Vera Cruz is a beautiful public recreation area, located six miles east of Ava on Highway 14, then three miles north on Highway AB.
Source: Thanks to Cinita Brown, retired schoolteacher and Ava area historian and writer, for this material on Vera Cruz.