White Ranch Conservation Area is a mosaic of oak forest,
savanna, and fens. This area was regularly burned off during the
expansion and migration of the Osage Tribe from 1710 to 1830.
Ranch is the local name for a region of land previously owned by
Harry White. The 6,614-acre area is approximately 11 miles south
of West Plains. The South Fork of the Spring River flows for about
2 miles through the eastern part.